Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Grass is Blue

I've always wanted to play the violin. Well to be honest I've always wanted to play the "fiddle".
I love bluegrass music. That high lonesome sound tugs at my heart and brings tears to my eyes. It reminds me of sweet old people I love so much and long to see again.
My Uncle Ulysse, one of those old people, was a fiddle player.When I knew him, he always wore overalls and had a glass eye. He married my mom's sister Lorene, despite threats and warnings from my grandpa. Grandpa thought a dance hall fiddler was in no way suitable for his sixteen year old daughter, but Lorene was in love and ran off with him anyway. Somewhere along the way, Ulysse met Jesus and started playing fiddle for his church. They raised a big family and had a very happy life until Ulysse died at the ripe old age of ninety eight.
As a child, I loved going to their house. Every morning I would wake up to the sound of that fiddle."five foot two, eyes of blue" that was Ulysse' song for Lorene. Saturdays were spent watching his favorite TV shows. Hee Haw, Porter Wagner, anything with music and musicians. Sundays we went to church. Ulysse loved his church, and he loved his preacher, which just so happened to be his son.
I remember once when asked why he volunteered for Meals on Wheels, Ulysse said he had to help those poor lonesome old people. He was ninety at the time.
I believe heaven is like an east Texas family reunion. There will be fishing and swimming and of course all day singing and eating on the ground. And there will be bluegrass music and a sweet old guy playing the fiddle. I think Jesus will dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers





white punks