Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 30, 2010

This Is My Story







A few years ago I read a book called Blue Like Jazz. If you've never read it, you should put it on your reading list right away. It's that good. Now, I have just finished the newest book by the same author, Donald Miller, A Million Miles In A Thousand Years, and I cant stop thinking about it.



He writes about how everyone has a story, their life. But not everyone has a story that's worthy of a book or movie. You have little control, but some things can be changed. You can get a better story if you try.



Some day, God and I will sit and talk about my story. I'll tell him about the time Ivy and I stayed awake all night at Greenbelt lake because the Goatman was going to get us. He will remind me, the Goatman was really just a very loud bullfrog. We will laugh about what a silly little girl I was and how a teenager could be so dramatic. We'll talk about how my children made my heart dance and He will say I did the same for Him.



I will tell God about the night, six months after Lauren died, when I fell on my face and begged him to take it all away. I didn't think I could take the pain and emptiness any longer and I knew He, the God of the universe had the power to change it. He will say He knows. He was there. He was the still small voice saying no, I love you, But no. This is your story.



Ive done so many things wrong in my life. Some were stupid, thoughtless mistakes. Some where pre-meditated sin. All have been forgiven. God has edited them from my story, but He will not give me a re-write. This is where the story arcs. The character, forever changed, has to choose a path. Will she become bitter? Will she die in her sorrow. Or will find her joy again?
I didn't die. Jon and I grew old together and had a wonderful life. I got to see My kids happy with families of their own. And my grandchildren made my heart dance.
None of these things have happened yet, but I know they will. God's promised me my story has a happy ending.

2 comments:

  1. I learned one of the most influential biblical concepts just after I first started attending Harvest. It was either late 1995 or early 1996 and Pastor Paul was teaching from the book of Revelation.

    Honestly, I don't remember much of what he said, until he got to Revelation 19. the word "Hallelujah" is used 4 times in this chapter, I found that very interesting since Revelation 19 is the only place in the bible where the word "Hallelujah" is used. That was surprizing to me since hallelujah is such a popular christian phrase.

    Anyway, it was life changeing for me because I became conviced that when when we finally get to understand why things happened the way they happend, everyone will say "hallelujiah, God You did it right even when it felt wrong to me!"

    Knowing this gives me some sort of rock bottom. When I feel horrible, scared, incompetent, evil, lonely, angry, depressed, and/or all the other negative ways I can feel, I remember Revelation 19, and somehow know, like you, that my story has a happy ending.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Chris Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm reading this after hearing yet another wonderful message from Paul and all I can think about is what he was saying about Jesus...how Jesus knows what we're going through (or what we've been through)...not just because he is Lord and knows everything...but because he lived it. He was crushed by betrayal and heartbreak...He sat up all night anxious over what was to happen...He prayed and asked God to take it away from him (only if it was His will). And then I think about the glory God received through all that...and know that if God could be glorified through the immense pain and suffering Jesus bore...through His story...he can surely be glorified through my story...and I don't really want to miss out on that.

    ReplyDelete

Followers





white punks