Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 25, 2009

SARAH







I went to a women's retreat this weekend. I am too tired to know yet if I am refreshed and revitalized. It was fun, though, and I think I may have learned something. I just need a few days to sort it out.



I was talking to a woman I had just met and said something about my daughter, Sarah. She said she had a Sarah too, and did mine live up to her "princess" name, as hers did. I said no, but thought about it later and wondered, when did princess become so derogatory? What used to imply royalty, and was an affectionate name a father might call his daughter, now means spoiled and self centered.



I really don't like this. I don't like the tight fitting tshirts with princess printed on the front or the shorts with it on the butt. I don't know why we want to dress our girls like junior hookers or why we would raise them to take so much pride in being selfish and demanding.



My Sarah is a princess. She is a kind and thoughtful servant, not unlike Cinderella. She is sweet and sensitive, as in The Princess and the Pea. And like Abraham's Sarah, she is royalty, her daddy's the King.

2 comments:

  1. Sheila! Your hair is sooo long! Sweet post - I love the picture of Jon with baby Sarah! Her face is priceless! Hope you and your family are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pic too. Jon with his curly hair and Grateful Dead Tshirt. i don't know how my kids turned out so good.

    ReplyDelete

Followers





white punks