Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Random Stuff I'm Thinking About Today

 Yesterday, Jon and I were watching an old black and white movie, I think it was called The Glass Key. In the beginning of the movie, the gangster type guy was saying something derogatory about another person and Veronica Lake walk right up, slapped him on the face and said he should be ashamed of himself. Veronica Lake was a tiny little thing, but the gangster backed down and truly seemed ashamed. Today she would have been arrested, taken to court, charged with abuse, battery and violating the gangsters civil rights. But I believe the world would be a better place if you had to think about what you were saying for fear of being slapped.
 There was a man in the grocery store, the other day, screaming the F word to someone on his cell phone for all to hear. That man needed to be slapped. There would be no rap songs about killing cops, violating women and using the "F" word if someone slapped the rapper and made him ashamed of himself. We need more slappers in this world.
  OK, before someone gets offended, I must say I have nothing against Rap. It's not music, but if you like it it's OK.
  On the subject of music, Etta James died Friday. I started listening to her music a very long time ago but didn't know much about her. One article said she was a heroin addict in her early years and it almost killed her career. Her husband spent many years in prison, when she was busted for drugs  and he took the blame saying they were his. That is loyalty. I wondered how many talented musicians, especially black women, spent their lives in prison. It's a terrible shame. She said she started doing heroine because she hung out in jazz clubs with people like Miles Davis and Billie Holiday and wanted to be cool. She thought Billie Holiday's beautiful voice came from shooting heroine. Also, Kieth Richards invited her to tour with the Stones in the 70's, if she could stay clean. I'm not sure if Kieth Richards was clean, but... I'll bet it was a great concert. I think my all time favorite Etta James song would be I'd Rather Go Blind, or maybe Sugar On the Floor.
  I just finished a great book. It was called Whispers From The Ashes. It's a story told by a 12 year old girl in 1955. She lives in Pennsylvania mining country and she is discovering her family history. There is a mine fire that has been burning for 40 years. It was a hard book to put down and I predict it will be a movie some day.
  The wind is blowing 50 to 60 miles an hour today and the sky is brown. I hate wind. I can tolerate ice and snow, but wind makes me want to pull the covers over my head and sleep until tomorrow. It looks like the dust bowl out there today. Why do I live here?
 

1 comment:

Followers





white punks