Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 9, 2012

The New Normal

  I spent the day trying to feel normal again. I worked in the yard, floated in the pool, played with the dogs, and broke down and cried every time I found myself alone.
 Recently someone who had lost a pet said it was like losing a child. I thought to myself, no it's not. Now I can say, It's not quite as bad. The one thing that makes it worse is, everyone, including yourself, expects you to get over it and move on.
  I feel guilty for all the things I didn't do for Darnell. I hate that I didn't realize he was sick sooner. The day i drove him to the vet, he sat in his seat, looking out the window, so happy. Darnell always loved riding in the car. I should have taken him for more rides.
  Now, when I look out my kitchen window, he is not in the yard playing. When I sit on the swing, he doesn't climb in my lap. He is not there to rock with me, his head on my chest, sad dachshund eyes looking up at me, with love and gratitude.
  The night after Darnell died, we went out to dinner. I was not hungry and could barely choke any thing down. The waitress brought Jon this huge plate of everything greasy and fried, that he should not eat. Suddenly, I had a bit of a panic attack and thought, soon, I will be completely alone. everyone and everything, I love will die and leave me alone on this planet.
  Is fear my new normal?

1 comment:

  1. When our son Jack was in half day Kindergarten, I would drop him off, and race home to play with my "first born"; my beloved Cocker Spaniel
    Maya. Most of the mom's would do errands, or go for coffee, but I could not wait to spend some "quality time" with my great dog. By the time Jack was a kinder, Maya was blind and could not hear a thing, but she was my baby. Maya died when Jack was about half way through Kindergarten. After she was gone, I would drop him off, and drive home to an empty house and a big hole in my heart. We had Maya cremated and I keep her ashes and collar in a little urn on the piano in our living room ( this may seem a little wacko..but i'm really not a wacko ). Jack is now 16 years old. every now and again I walk into the living room and visit Maya, and remember how much joy she brought to our family. Thank you for sharing your voice..I truly love your blog and you are a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete

Followers





white punks