Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Famous Grandpa







Do you remember the first time you said, "I love the Beatles", and the person you were talking to said, "What are the Beatles"? Or that day you realized you weren't going to be a rock star or Broadway actor? My point is, everybody is nobody to somebody. You have to have done something wonderful, like Lincoln, or horrible, like Hitler, for the world to recognize your name forever. Trust me, one day your grandchildren will say "Brittany who?"



When I was a little girl, I thought my grandfather was famous. He had a famous name, Francis Marion Bacon. But famous names kind of run in my family. Seriously, my father is Calvin Coolidge. Anyway, I don't know if it was the way my mom and her siblings looked up to Grandpa or maybe it was the stories he told.



He had been a bit of an outlaw before Jesus and my grandma changed his life. Both of his parents were half Native American, one Chickasaw, the other Choctaw. And his grandfather was a well known missionary in eastern Oklahoma. His mother died in childbirth and his father soon after was shot for being an Indian and riding his horse into a bar. And Grandpa grew up to be a bank robber. His wanted poster hung in post offices all over Oklahoma for some time. After some trouble, involving an unwed mother and her angry brother, he headed for Texas and never looked back. He rode with a man who was also hiding from the authorities, and married that mans daughter, my grandmother. They were married for sixty five years and had fourteen children. All this led to him becoming the grandfather of me, the apple of his eye. He died when I was only six, he was ninety. To this day, when someone says "unconditional love" first I think of Jesus, then I think of Grandpa. I am so glad God had grace for this man.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...my boss and I were just talking about this sort of thing yesterday...about family stories that are so fascinating you have to share them and pass them down. My great-grandmother sat on Quanah Parker's lap when she was a little girl. (Okay, I think the actual story she told me is that her sister sat on QP's lap...but she was actually too scared of him to do the same...but still...she had the opportunity to sit in Quanah Parker's lap...so it's just easier to say she did rather than go into this long drawn out story.)

    Where was I?

    Oh yeah, my side of the family has a lot of really neat stories to pass down. My hubby's side...they have the neat stories (I'm sure) but they haven't really been passed down. I did a little research on his family to learn some of their stories on my own.

    All that to say...that is a really cool story and your great-grandchildren will probably appreciate you sharing it someday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers





white punks