Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas Past







It's that time again. I have my tree up and my house all decorated. It's cold and wet outside and I plan to make fudge and Martha Washington candy today while Jon watches, of course ,football.



So far, I think Christmas is going to be easier this year. I still miss Lauren as much as ever, but like a thorn in my side or a rock in my shoe, I'm getting used to it.



I like Christmas music, but it gets old. It's the same songs sung the same way by different artist. I prefer the old stuff, or my mom's music. You know big bands like Glen Miller or the crooners like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Nat King Cole. But what I really love is the sixties stuff.



I used to have a Christmas album, or vinyl for those of you too young to know the lingo, that had Lou Rawls and Mary Wilson, among others. I have looked for it on CD but never found it. This was the kind of music we heard in the bus stations when Mom and I went to Washington DC in 1963. This music, along with Coca Cola Santa's always takes me back to that time. I even have an ornament on my tree that is a Coca Cola Santa with 1963 printed on it.



There was a time, when I began this season by making matching Christmas dresses for my girls. Soon they were too old for this little tradition. It broke my heart, but at least it was one less thing I had to get done. A few years later I was making red twirling suits with Santa fur on the skirts for the Christmas parade in Plainview. Lauren was thrilled the last year she did this parade when she got to lead the Plainview high school marching band. This band marched about 300 more students than her high school band and is kind of a big deal around here.






Hard as it may be, I know we will move on and make new traditions and memories. We'll just have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers





white punks